Lisa: LARPBO and My Journey
by Lisa Wells (Mar 20 2018)
I was not a confident individual before I came to LARPBO, I was anxious, self conscious and had lots of trouble finding my voice in social situations. After learning how to work with my dog and the patience everyone showed my wife and I while attending LARPBO, I noticed that I started holding my head a little higher, putting my shoulders back when I walked down the street and was facing the world in a new way.
People would often compliment us on how well trained our dog was and we always told them how we got there, LARPBO gave us the tools and support, and we just had to practice and have patience.
This affected all aspects of my life, I craved this feeling more and more and wanted to center my career around working with animals. After months of searching, I found that Wags and Walks, a dog rescue in West LA, had an a position open for Animal Care Manager. My job was going to be handling, caring for, and doing my best to give basic training to over 20 dogs at a time. While this seemed like a lot, I know that I never would have had the confidence or experience to even apply for this job had it not been for LARPBO. Now I feel like I’m truly thriving in a career that I’m passionate about. Growing, learning, and teaching a few old rescue dogs some new tricks that they can now use in their beautiful new lives.
Follow Lisa and Jordy’s pups and LARPBO dogs, Turnip and Clam, on Instagram @turnipandclam.
Meet LARPBO Dogs & Peeps
These stories illustrates LARPBO’s part in keeping dogs home and out of shelters AND guiding owners to help dogs reach their potential. Please help us continue making a difference in the community. Click here to donate to our Shelter Intervention & Prevention Program so that we can continue our mission.
- Bodhi: Better than a Doodle!
- Cali: It’s All About Cali!
- Cathy & Isaac: A Note to LARPBO
- Dexter: There’s No Stopping Dexter
- Frannie: How Did this Happen?
- Grace: An Addict, a Pit Bull and Grace
- Hope: Where there is Hope
- Houston: From a Dog No One Wanted to Therapy Dog
- Jane, Moses & Andie: A Human-K9 Pack
- JJ: Capturing the Heart of a First Time Pit Bull Owner
- Lacy: What’s in a Name
- Lisa: LARPBO and My Journey
- Lynwood: The Chick Magnet
- Miles Woo: So You Think My Dog is Good?
- Ollie: LARPBO Dog Becomes Therapy Dog
- Rusty: Discarded “trash” to therapy dog
- Samson: Samson is Family
- Tito: LARPBO Speak!
- Wesley: Following Wesley