Are you looking to take your dog to the next level? LARPBO will begin testing for the new AKC Community Canine.
Does your dog already have a Canine Good Citizen Title? Then it is time to get back into training and obtain the next level… Join LARPBO training classes and new advanced level classes as we prepare your pup to be an AKC Community Canine!
With the introduction of AKC Community Canine, the AKC’s CGC program now provides a comprehensive three- level training program for dogs and their owners. Beginning with AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy, progressing to Canine Good Citizen and now to AKC Community Canine, the CGC program trains dogs through all stages of life to be well behaved in society.
AKC Community Canine expands on CGC skills and lays the beginning foundation for obedience, rally and therapy dog work.
While Canine Good Citizen tests are simulations of real world skills, the goal of AKC Community Canine is to test the dog’s abilities in a natural setting. For example, rather than the test being administered in a ring, certain elements will involve the dog walking through a real crowd, whether at a dog show or on a busy sidewalk in the community.
As with CGC, AKC Community Canine requires a 10-step test that dogs must pass to earn the official AKC Community Canine title:
1. Dog sits or lays down and waits under control.
2. Walks on a loose leash in a natural situation (not in a ring)—does not pull.
3. Walks on a loose leash through a crowd.
4. Dog walks past distraction dogs present; does not pull.
5. Sit-stay in small group (3 other people with dogs).
6. Dog allows person who is carrying something to approach and pet it.
7. “Leave it.” Dog walks by food and follows owner instructions, “Leave it.”
8. Down or sit stay-distance (owner’s choice).
9. Recall (coming when called) with distractions present.
10. Dog will enter/exit a doorway or passageway with owner and remain under control.
For details on test items, see the AKC Community Canine page.