by Mariana Borges Mekelburg (Mar 24 2015)
My mama and daddy are dog trainers for an awesome non-profit organization called LARPBO – Los Angeles Responsible Pit Bull Owners so I get to help out a lot of dogs with reactivity issues since I am very passive to everything!
I do some Therapy work where I go to facilities with my fur-friend Rosie to bring smiles to Humans and I am a task trained, medical alert Service Dog for my mama!
I also love to do sports, I do Dock Diving, Lure Coursing and did some Agility in the past!! I have my Canine Good Citizen (CGC) and Community Canine (CGCA) certificates! I am a rescued boy by the way! I had many issues as a pup but I overcame them all!! My will to survive, determination and the help from all my friends/fur-friends, aunties, uncles, mama and daddy made me push myself to the limit so I defied all odds of me dying with Parvovirus and Distemper, I also had partial paralysis in my back legs due to the parvo but I love to prove Humans wrong so after 4 different vets told mama and daddy I would never be able to walk, running was out of the question and jumping to not even think about it … I no longer drag them and yes I walk, yes I run and yep … I jump!
I love all dogs but I have learned that not all dogs love me back, I have been attacked around 15 different times and not once I have reacted back to another dog!
We usually foster dogs so I get to teach the new comers some manners and show them what awesome dogs they can become if they listen to the Humans! I also have a little big sister named Tika, little due to size but big because she’s 13 and has always been the oldest, she helps me and my Humans teach the foster dogs manners with the smaller dogs!
Meet LARPBO Dogs & Peeps
These stories illustrates LARPBO’s part in keeping dogs home and out of shelters AND guiding owners to help dogs reach their potential. Please help us continue making a difference in the community. Click here to donate to our Shelter Intervention & Prevention Program so that we can continue our mission.
- Bodhi: Better than a Doodle!
- Cali: It’s All About Cali!
- Cathy & Isaac: A Note to LARPBO
- Dexter: There’s No Stopping Dexter
- Frannie: How Did this Happen?
- Grace: An Addict, a Pit Bull and Grace
- Hope: Where there is Hope
- Houston: From a Dog No One Wanted to Therapy Dog
- Jane, Moses & Andie: A Human-K9 Pack
- JJ: Capturing the Heart of a First Time Pit Bull Owner
- Lacy: What’s in a Name
- Lisa: LARPBO and My Journey
- Lynwood: The Chick Magnet
- Miles Woo: So You Think My Dog is Good?
- Ollie: LARPBO Dog Becomes Therapy Dog
- Rusty: Discarded “trash” to therapy dog
- Samson: Samson is Family
- Tito: LARPBO Speak!
- Wesley: Following Wesley